What are the hottest shows coming up this year? Based on the ones that are most likely to appear on top picks’ lists in my round-up of commentators’ round-ups, they are:
- Lin-Manuel Miranda‘s Trump-tweeted hit Hamilton;
- Ivo van Hove‘s production of Obsession, starring Jude Law at the Barbican;
- the New York transfer of The Glass Menagerie, directed by Harry Potter‘s John Tiffany;
- the West End revival of Broadway musical classics 42nd Street and An American in Paris;
- the National’s revival of Tony Kushner epic Angels in America, starring Andrew Garfield, Nathan Lane and Denise Gough;
- the premiere of Jez Butterworth‘s latest play The Ferryman at the Royal Court;
- star-studded West End play revivals of two Edward Albee classics, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? with Imelda Staunton and Conleth Hill and The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia? with Damian Lewis, as well as Patrick Marber’s Don Juan in Soho with David Tennant, and the Menier transfer of Tom Stoppard’s Travesties starring Tom Hollander.
- at the Old Vic, the 50th anniversary revival of another Stoppard play, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead with Daniel Radcliffe and Joshua McGuire, and Woyzeck with Star Wars‘ John Boyega;
- on the Shakespeare front, Hamlet starring Andrew Scott at the Almeida, Emma Rice‘s swansong Twelfth Night at the Globe and the Roman Tragedies (Julius Caesar, Antony & Cleopatra, Titus Andronicus) at the Barbican, also care of Ivo van Hove.
What else made the critics’ lists? I’ve summarised the production picks below, as well as some other predictions for 2017. And what’s on your list?
Tags: 42nd Street, An American in Paris, Andrew Scott, Antony & Cleopatra, Cherry Jones, Conleth Hill, Damian Lewis, Daniel Radcliffe, David Tennant, Don Juan in Soho, Edward Albee, Emma Rice, Freddie Fox, Hamilton, Hamlet, Imelda Staunton, Ivo van Hove, Jez Butterworth, John Boyega, John Tiffany, Joshua McGuire, Jude Law, Juliuas Caesar, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Obsession, Patrick Marber, Roman Tragedies, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, Shakespeare's Globe, The Ferryman, The Glass Menagerie, The Goat or Who is Sylvia?, Titus Andronicus, Tom Hollander, Tom Stoppard, Travesties, Twelfth Night, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, Woyzeck